lunes, 26 de mayo de 2008

Performance of our play!

On Friday night we performed our play for my Teatro Hispanoamericano class. We did a play because our professor offers a performance as an alternative to a final exam, and he makes it clear that he prefers us to perform than to take a test (he said he tends to give high grades for the performances). We were a group of foreigners 6 americans, 2 french girls, and one german, doing acts 2 and 3 of a play called Trescientos millones (Three Hundred Thousand) by Roberto Arlt. I played the Rufian Honrado (the Honorable Ruffian), aka. the viejo (old man). I'm not actually very honorable, I'm looking into buying the daughter of the protagonist to bring her to my “school” (aka whorehouse).

Anyway, after a bit of stress sorting out the lights and coordinating with the group of spaniards and a lot of fun putting talcum powder in our hair to make it grey and lines in the creases of our eyes and a moustache on my upper lip, we started – I had to sit in the audience because I entered from the stairs, so I got to see the whole first act before I got on stage – it was pretty good, not great, and confusing (but then, its just a confusing play), but our professor seemed to really be enjoying it. I was really happy to see that a lot of our friends had come – I hadn't really expected them to come, so it was a really nice surprise.
Aaron had a bit of trouble getting through his long monologue at the beginning of act 2, but in general things went well! I got through my lines well (oooo I was shaking!), and afterwards several people told me they about died laughing when I went down the stairs onto the stage because I was doing this crazy old man walk with a cane, haha! Also, Hannah and Gaelle almost lost it on stage when I took my hat off and put it back on, because there was so much powder in my hair that the motion caused a big cloud to appear around my head, of course super obvious in the stage lights. In general I got a lot of compliments, it made me feel good #1 because I've never been in a play ever before and #2 because it sounds like the people who came to see us actually enjoyed the play, though they didn't really understand it. It was an awfully big relief to get it done.

No hay comentarios: